Blue Algae Warning

Vets have raised concerns that dogs diving into lakes and ponds are at risk of being poisoned by ingesting a toxic blue green algae called Cyanobacteria.

Mark Johnston, of the British Small Animals Veterinary Association, warned pet owners to keep dogs away from lakes or ponds where the poisonous algae is growing.

He said although blue green algae is usually rare, due to the successive hot days it has become more commonplace. “If blue green algae is in still water you should not allow animals to swim”.

 

Comments are closed.

Back to top

Website design by Haiwyre